Hackers and victims

• As a member of this Forum I might also consider myself a "victim" of the recent successful attempt at hacking this site.

I am one of the 700+ members who had used a very simple password.
    Yet I cannot identify myself with any of the "victims" discussing the crime and the proper punishment in other threads.

My position is this:
    this site has been hacked by a teenager, whose main interest most probably has been in demonstrating his cleverness at the computer-technical refinery of cracking codes.

Some of you have argued that his age is no excuse, that one can not and should not accept that there is some innocence when it comes to the wider effects of this deed.
    I think that is very wrong. Without a life's experience of economic and social affairs he is not able to understand the wider consequences of what he is doing to other people in this respect.
    He might even be very surprised to learn that adults are so very gullible when it comes to protecting themselves on the net.

Here we are, 700 members leaving all this wonderful information about ourselves as on a tray! Myself included (even though I have never flashed my e-bay identity or much else to make myself identifiable).

So we, who should know better, have have knowingly exposed ourselves to this danger.
    I am aware about what I have done, and have to admit that I have been very silly.
    On the other hand I am well aware of the security problems when it comes to banking and shopping on the net, and in these areas I'd like to consider myself more sophisticated.

Now if the low age of a teenager is no excuse - what is your age and life's experience?
    With all that no attempts at protecting yourselves?!
    You have all been caught "with your pants down" - this is embarassing and rage does not cover up for that.

Hacking, identity theft etc. are very very unpleasant realities of the internet world.
    One teenager caught will do nothing to change that.
    Not even as a warning - we know that from other cases which have been brought to justice.
    What worries me more is the cult among young people when it comes to hacking.
    It is a sport - a very unclean one, and it might best be fought an the ground, in the schools and by adults who deal with kids daily.
    That is something that should be demanded.
    And more resources to fight the real, economic crooks on the net.

After all this I'd like to declare that as things stand now, I would not like any legal actions to be taken in my name. No class action for me, thank you!

Kindest regards
    Pixie

• Pixie:

Wow, one voice of rationalism! You hit the right spots:

- Be aware of the amount of information you give away
    - Use secure passwords: Minimum length, use of numbers and asteriks

And finally: Shut the board down immediately, as soon as you know of a hacker attack. Bring it back, if it is secure again.

• Irrespective of his age, and his surmised lack of life's experience, he was well able to determine the consequences of his actions, whilst accepting he intended no harm, he facilitated, by his actions, prospective harm by a third party or parties.

Of this he will have been only too aware.

And I accept that making an example of him will have little affect on his peers, nevertheless he has committed a crime, and one that is taken very seriously.

Punishment by the courts is appropriate. Too often such crimes are ignored, and we give give them a chance, a second chance, a third chance and so on with the result they perceive themselves to be above the law. It is time to call a halt to such liberal attitudes.

I do though doubt he realises the gravity of the offence he has commited, punishable by soveriegn law, civil law and international law.

And thanks to the EU "Nemo debit bis vexari pro una et eadem causa" no longer applies.

Put very bluntly he is in deep, deep shit.

regards

Nigel

• Indeed over 700 names were confronted with some shocking facts of sinister motives.

My thanks to those that have identified this disaster and also more insight to info around passwords under various headings.

I too have a son who also would take up the challenge of discovering the novelties of the Net. I also have informed him that I have the fortitude to exact the punishment needed to correct his ways - legally of course. The latter is hopefully not required due to grey matter development on his part. They get just too clever and like everyone to think so.

My concern is more that this was shared with other friends and information is handed from 'brother' to 'brother' and for that reason this should be reported to the correct authorities hastely while it may still be in cluster form. A re-occurance may then be more easilier pinpointed if it should happen.

Using the Internet makes no provision for innocent bystanders and future transgressors will probably and should be treated more appropriately.

Erich

• Good morning and thank you for your comments!

It is very sad to watch the discussion turn into the howling of hyenas, and a flock of adults overreacting leaving reason far behind; a group of adults so clearly demonstrating how easy it is to create a lynch mob.

I agree, this type of hacking should not occur at all, and I agree that what happened is very unpleasant indeed.

All the same, what has been said, done and suggested by many members worries me more than the possibility of being hacked again.
    Generalisations and prejudice and so much simmering hatred is more scaring than anything else.

Sad, very, very sad indeed!

Pixie

• Zitat

It is very sad to watch the discussion turn into the howling of hyenas, and a flock of adults overreacting leaving reason far behind; a group of adults so clearly demonstrating how easy it is to create a lynch mob.
    Generalisations and prejudice and so much simmering hatred is more scaring than anything else.

Hi Pixie,

I would rather have listened to the 'howling of Hyenas' than read about this mayhem. Perhaps a Lynch mob is a bit over the top but as we all live by example, most of the adult world is aware of the damage that wanton hackers can achieve.

The 'simmering hatred' is very real because most know of the mess and time wastage it causes, here we have a classic example.
    Though relatively not much damage was done we can not allow stepping stones clouding our recourse other than getting the right authority to take notes.

Generalisations and prejudice should not play any part to why and wherefore and commonsense should prevail and this incident has shown the diversity of thought.

Hopefully this is as timid as some may think and the proof if negative, would be too late for the rehabilitation for the offender.

Enjoy your Hobby !

Erich

• I have followed the discussions from a distance and I am aware that the young culprit will be turned over to justice.
    I have paid attention to the way Aerotech has handled this.
    Hat off!

While minding my own household two thoughts have passed my mind several times, and I will combine them to one point here:

I am not very pleased by the action of one member here, to put online the two lists of passwords.
    As much as I appreciate his good will and good intentions I think it was a huge mistake to leave a window open for so long; I do not think that was good judgement, and I feel as much threatened by that as by the initial attack.
    One of my friends here in Sweden has been deplorably exposed, and we have to discuss further actions.

Now, it is human to err, and I can't see that some of us are more human than others?

Am I supposed to be more understanding in this case?
    I expect myself to be understanding in both cases because I know it is so humanly easy to make mistakes, to be stupid, to loose one's temper, to become confused in the face of danger ....

As you said

Let us return to our hobby!

Have a pleasant day!

Pixie